Saturday, November 14, 2009

Skipping Motherhood, Straight to Mamawhood

I'm not even a mom yet, but there are many signs lately that I'm quickly turning into a mamaw {grandmother for those you who aren't southern}.

Exhibit one: The purchases that I'm most excited about, my new fashion obsession, are pajamas, robes, and slippers. I can't make a trip to the Target without meandering over to the sleepwear department. I used to want to find a great deal on cute top or fun pair of shoes. Now I get giddy over a pair of flannel pj pants because they have pockets { assumably to carry around the tissue that I will soon be required to have at all times like a good mamaw}.

New robe that's cotton with fleece on the inside. About as sexy as Rosie O'Donnell.
Some of my new pajama pants. The second ones are the one of the pairs with the pockets.

Exhibit two: I already want to decorate for Christmas. That on its own isn't really mamaw. But the extent I want to decorate, and what I want to listen to while I do is.

I grew up in a house that the entire downstairs was wall to wall holiday decorations from the day after Thanksgiving to the first week of January. I keyed the phrase " It looks like Christmas threw up in here." at a young age, and it really captures the tone of the decor.

Having grown up with that made me adverse to holiday decor in my own home for the first few years. One year we didn't even put up a tree. But in recent years, more and more decorations having been creeping into our abode. This year I feel like Christmas might soon becoming nauseous in our house too. Look out Greg. We may have a wall to wall decorations this year.

I also usually have music that I want to listen to while decorating the tree. Mostly crooners singing holiday songs or traditional Christmas stuff. But this year I'm getting mamaw on Christmas music too. I'm getting these cds:

Yeah, we're having " a hard candy Christmas". If you don't get that reference, shame on you! You need to go rent The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas dvd ASAP, so you can be clued in to the magic that is Dolly Parton.

Don't you think getting out the tinsel and twine while Dolly, Kenny, and Willie are whaling out Christmas tunes is a bit on the mamaw side?

And I'm not done.

Exhibit three: Last night on my dinner date with my husband I actually wanted to go to Piccadilly Cafeteria. I'm not sure where all they have locations, but surely everywhere has a cafeteria style restaurant known to be frequented by the 60 and over crowd for the early bird special. Our only saving grace is that we went at 7:30 instead of 4:30 in the afternoon.

And I did it up right getting a salmon patty { salmon, bread crumbs, and other various ingredients deep fried}, mac'n'cheese, mashed potatoes, broccoli w/ cheese, a roll, and we shared chocolate cake. If you're going to be a mamaw, you should be a happy, round one, right?

Hopefully soon I'll participate in some activities appropriate for an almost 30 y/o. If not, at least I'll get some good discounts with my new AARP card {you know at Piccadilly and on SAS shoes}.

No comments:

Post a Comment