Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I got terrible news yesterday that a good friend of mine was in a car accident over the weekend and was killed.

He and I had been friends since I was about 19 but had really gotten a lot closer the past few years. He was kind of friend that was always there for me when I needed him, and I knew he always would be.

I'm having a lot of trouble processing that this has happened or believing that it is true. It seems like a nightmare that I should wake up from.

I've lost people before but no one like this. No one my own age that I've been this close to. It feels really strange. Of course it feels intensely sad at times, but I'm also feeling quite numb and empty more than anything. Perhaps that is just the shock.

I hope that I can process this in a healthy way and understand it soon.

So this week please be thankful for your friends and let them know how you feel about them. Don't take your time with them for granted.

I am thankful for all my blog friends. Reading all of your funny, sweet, and interesting posts about your lives really brighten up every single day of my life. And I am wholly thankful for all of my real life friends. For all of you who are in my life now and all of you who I have been close to in the past { just because I life, time, or distance may have pulled us apart, doesn't change the closeness that we once shared, or the way you're still in my heart}.

And I am so thankful for my best friend, my husband. Thank you for your concern for me and trying to be there for me right now. I know that unfortunately you know how this feels. I love you.

4 comments:

  1. A few years ago i lost my best friend. we met our freshmen year in college and stayed close up till the day he passed. we played football together, had daughters the same age, and got married while still in college.

    at his funeral, i was literally in shock and couldnt speak much. it was like the only thing i could do was cry and im not a crier at all. afterwards, i couldnt erase his cell number from my phone. the only only reason i dont still have it is because ive lost the phone.

    sorry for your loss. i know how tough it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sorry for your loss...I cannot imagine and understand how much in shock that you must be..it is hard to hear about young people dying..Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's heartbreaking to hear, but healing is a process. I lost my mother when I was 18, but it's not quite the same (as you said, it's different when it's your own age).

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad....sorry to hear about your friend... I know I've lost a few friends over the years...it makes you appreciate what you have around you...

    ReplyDelete