Sunday, March 29, 2009

Weekend Ending

So I thought I would write a quick post about my low key weekend. 

I have been having allergy issues since Wednesday. I don't know if I've mentioned on here, but I try to avoid taking any western medication because of the funky chemicals and side affects ( but I'll smoke cigarettes when I drink? DUH!). My spiny nettles and MSM powder are not doing a very good job of keeping the sneezing, scratchy throat, and stuffy head at bay. It probably didn't help that my salon kept the front doors open all week to enjoy the nice weather. Maybe I should have asked them to close the doors when I saw a layer of yellow-green film on my station, but it was so nice and springy outside.

So due to allergy illness and the past two weekends being blow outs, we decided to not do much this weekend. 

Friday night we did go to my parents for some family time since my grandmother was in town from Jackson. This made my allergies worse since my mom and step-dad are the last people on the planet to smoke inside their house, but it was worth it to hang out with my cool Grandma Almeda.

Saturday I tried to keep the snot from dripping from my nose into my clients' hair. After work I came home and watched TV in bed. 

I've had an excuse to go directly to bed to do my TV watching because our three year old (warranty runs out after two) plasma in the living room  decided to turn half of the screen into a rainbow. I personally think rainbows are quite lovely, but Greg was not happy when he tried to turn the basketball tournament on to watch the UofM Tigers and saw the rainbow instead. He's suppose to be taking it in to see how many hundreds of dollars it will be to get it fixed, or if we're better of just buying a new one. It's perfectly reasonable to spend thousands on TVs every three years , right?

Along with my TV watching I've also been reading this book:


I got this on the recommendation of another blogger, and because I normally love Southern humor writing from women authors. I though that it was going to be similar to " The Sweet Potato Queen" series, but it wasn't nearly as good. My opinion could also partly be because the last books I read were the literary crack series Twilight. What book could follow what is basically teenage, supernatural, romance novels? 


So now I'm reading  sTori Telling. I'm only a chapter in, but it already seems way more promising. I've always liked Tori Spelling even though she is the butt of many jokes.  I really liked her show on Oxygen about her little family and their inn, and the second season about her pregnancy and moving back to L.A. . I wonder if they are doing another season of it.


I also got book by the blogger Jen Lancaster, Bitter is the New Black. I decided after the first chapter that I didn't care for it at all. The Barnes and Nobel return policy states that they give refunds for unread books. Does it count if you just read one chapter? Oh well I'm going to try to return it anyway. I am after all my mothers daughter, a women who could get a refund for a used box of tissues and a discount on anything. {side note: She took Greg shopping one time at Outdoors and got a 15% BoyScout discount because she was once a GirlScout leader and surely they didn't want to be sexist. I hadn't warned Greg about her shopping tactics before hand. Sometimes it's a little embarrassing in the moment, but hey if it saves you some cash, so what!}

Today I got out to do little shopping. I went all the way out to Wolfchase Mall to go the Gap. I can practically see the Oak Court Mall form the end of my street, but their Gap is tiny and never has all the stuff I see online. I also like the big Old Navy out there. 


Old Navy had nothing to speak of, but the Gap trip was somewhat successful. This is the dress that I originally saw online and wanted to try on. They had it in my size in this color, and it fit pretty well. The color looked very different in person. Online it looked coral, but it actually is much more orange. This color may have looked alright once I had gotten some sun, but it looked not good right now. 



So I got them to order this cocoa color form another store. I did that instead of ordering it from online because I had 20% off coupon for doing one of those surveys you get with your receipt, and you can't use those with online purchases. My mom should be so proud of me. Also the shipping is a whole dollar cheaper than online (WOW).  I'm planning on wearing this to Greg's graduation in May. I might also wear it to one of the showers or the casual rehearsal dinner of my friend Jessica, whose wedding I will be in this June. Now I need to find the perfect pair of espadrilles for the outfit.


I also got these shorts the other day from the Gap, but they look way cuter on me than they do on this girl. On me they don't looked nearly as tight ( especially on the legs), high "mom waisted", or like at the right angle you could see camel toe. Bad photo shoot Gap!




I plan on being fairly boring the next few weeks. I'd like to not go out any until we go Dave Matthews in Nashville on the 25th. Like I mentioned earlier I smoke when I drink ( cough, cough; excuse me) and only when I drink, but I'm finally ready to totally quit for the first time. In the past I've just chalked it up to a vise I enjoy on occasion, but now I see it as the nasty, smelly, unhealthy, aging habit it is. So I thought a few weeks with no adult beverages will help break the habit. I swear sometimes that quitting smoking is easier for people with an addiction to than for people with a social habit of it, like me.

Also a few weeks of not going out will make it easier to get back to going to the gym and eating better again. I've had a tough time with it since my birthday weekend. Drinking like that makes me lazy and want to eat everything in site. 

I do plan on starting to plant some stuff hopefully soon. I'll post some pictures of what I plant as soon as I do. I vow to water all flowers better this year. I am after all almost 30, and if I don't start to become a better gardener they'll revoke my membership to Southern womanhood. By the time my mother was my age her rose garden produced enough blooms to keep our entire house in fresh flowers. I still have trouble keeping my impatients alive for the whole summer.

Well so much for a quick post. Sorry I seem to ramble a bit on here a lot!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness girl I am with you. I need to not do anything until my trip to cancun and that includes the smoking and I think I need to give up the hard liquor for good. Bad News Tennis Shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: Barnes and Noble took back the book I read one chapter of and didn't even bat an eye!

    ReplyDelete